Monday, January 18, 2016

New Year's Craziness, German investigator, Earthquake

1/4/2016

Well the area is going fairly well. We have a lot of problems getting people to go to church here which was unfortunate. For New Years here it was kind of crazy. There was a party that started New Years Eve below our house at two in the afternoon and lasted until 6:30 in the morning on New Years day. We had to stay all day on New Years Eve because of the parties and the drunks.

So to explain the traditions here. They light of bunches of fireworks for New Years make mannequins of wood and newspaper and light them with fire (and load those mannequins with fireworks and light them off). Something else, I didn't see this but I have heard about it. What it is is men dress as women and go and touch people. That is the basics. Lets just say it probably was good we were stuck. We didn't get too much troubles but a lot of the days we just walked because no one was there.

One of our investigator families is going to have a kid soon but we have good news. We have someone we contacted awhile back who is German that lives here. And we will teach him tommorow. I will send you a photo as proof. Have you gotten my photos? I just want to make sure as I was uncertain if you got them.

As for food my most favorite here is called ceviche de camaron. It is a soup that is really great here. Changes come this Sunday so we will have to see what happens. I don't like the seco de pollo here if it is done poorly (just look those up.) We have had rain but I have stayed mostly dry so no problems. I believe that is it for this last week but I will send you some photos this time as well of a few things here.

Oh one thing I forgot to mention. There was an earthquake in Esmeraldes on the 1st so that was a fun way to start the year. Nothing too bad but it freaked out everyone outside.

Love you all,
Elder Throop

Pensionist Family

Pensionist Family

Pensionist Family

Fires left from New Years celebrations

Outside the apartment

No comments:

Post a Comment